away for the weekend: burlap table runner

Sunday, June 24, 2012

burlap table runner




A couple of weeks ago I was browsing on Pinterest when I ran across this from Antique Chase:

Antique Chase - Hand Knotted Burlap Table Runner


I pinned it immediately, knowing this would add a pretty rustic touch to our Vermont getaway.
Doesn't it feel great to pin something KNOWING you'll actually make it?
I measured my table, adding 6 inches for overhang and 12 inches for fringe on each side. I rushed to Joann's and came home with...



the much less rustic oyster colored burlap. I really do struggle with this rustic thing...
At any rate, I layed everything out to measure...


and I really do need to start using my table more. My helper - yeah - not really all that much help.

I only wanted my runner to be 18 inches wide, so I cut my bulap 37 inches wide and made a seam starting 12 inches from one end of the runner, ending it 12 inches from the other end (for the fringe). I turned it right side out and pressed it.



This part, pulling the cross threads, is slightly tedius - but only slightly. I pulled enough for 12 inches of fringe, but in retrospect, 9 inches would have been plenty. It's all a matter of preference.


Knotting is easy, just try to make sure they're uniform and face the same direction.
And voila, you're done - quick and easy table runner.
When I put it on my table, it fit perfectly and I was feeling pretty happy. But then, as I was walking by our little sunroom I remembered that I had been meaning to get something to protect my antique table from the sun.

Soooooo



The runner is a bit too long for this table - which would be an easy fix - except that I kind of like it this way.



No - I really like it this way!
Do you ever make something and then like it better when you use for a different purpose?



I am really enjoying my new table runner!

I am joining:

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday

Thanks for dropping in!

5 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this! Your home looks beautiful, and while I like rustic, I think the lighter burlap you chose is perfect. I've found that the tougher burlap is a little too stiff sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done!!! And you have a darling kitty!!! Have a wonderful week! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it too. The fringe makes it and it looks amazing on the antique table. Great idea. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Don't you love the way our furry friends take such interest in everything we do???

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear from you -
Your comments make me smile!