away for the weekend: hiking the overlook trail

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

hiking the overlook trail





Over Memorial Day weekend, we had the good fortune of extending our weekend in Vermont a couple extra days. So, we headed on back to Jamaica State Park (through the main entrance, this time) to hike the Overlook Trail.

It starts out following the West River.


I really can’t describe how restful it feels to walk through the forest with the sound of the river by your side.



We didn’t get far when we were rewarded with this



I think I’ve only seen a lady slipper maybe once or twice
Greg is actually the one who spotted it. I’m so proud of him – he’s really getting the hang of this whole slowing down and smelling the roses thing – so to speak.



The hike passes by an area on the river called the “dumplings”. I bet you can guess why.




This is one brave tree, trying to grow right in the middle of that boulder!

Up to this point, we were really just leisurely strolling along the river. But as you may have guessed by its name “Overlook”, there is a little climbing involved.



I neglected to take pictures of this part – you’ll understand in a minute.

The reward at the top of the trail







Sooooooo

Thankfully, this was a fairly short hike and it would have been wonderful
IF
we had remembered the bug spray.

Seriously, who forgets bug spray when they’re going on a hike?!?

Of course – if you're looking for a full-body workout, you can do as we did and walk briskly while maniacally flailing your arms and slapping yourself.

Me? I already loaded my knapsack with spray, wipes, clip-ons...



Believe it or not, we still had a great time – but – lesson learned!

Thanks for dropping in!


2 comments:

I am always happy to hear from you -
Your comments make me smile!